Recycling Tips & Facts Calgary
Helping You Recycle The Right Way
According to Environment Canada, Alberta kept over 2 billion beverage containers out of landfills in 2013, recycling them instead. That means we saved more than 700 kilowatts of energy and much more refuse stayed out of Canada’s nearly full landfills. The Beverage Container Management Board (BCMB) reports that we recycled more than 12,400 tonnes of aluminum cans in 2012.
Our Calgary Recycling Operation Meets Industry Standards
We’re members of the Beverage Container Management Board that is responsible for our permit and reports directly to the Minister of the Environment. BCMB inspects and audits Alberta and Calgary bottle depots to see that they meet these standards:
- Proper refunds made to customers
- Proper amounts of recycled containers shipped to processors
- Facility and operations have met recycling industry requirements
Find the Cash in Your Trash!
Recycling water bottles and aluminum cans by holding a bottle drive is a great way for your club or organization to raise money and help save the environment at the same time. Get tips from the Alberta Bottle Depot Association (ABDA) and then let us help make your bottle drive the biggest success it can be.
How Much Money Can You Make?
Visit the BCMB’s home page to find out how much you can collect per aluminum can, brown bottle, water bottle, larger bottle or plastic milk container.
Faster and More Efficient Recycling
We appreciate you taking the time to recycle. To make your efforts more efficient and less time consuming, we offer some tips from the ABDA. Before you visit our Calgary bottle shop, you can:
- Sort your containers by size for faster refund calculations
- Sort by material: plastic, aluminum and glass
- Rinse your containers
- Sort out plastic rings and carton boxes
- Bring the cardboard boxes for refillable brown beer bottles
What Can’t Be Recycled at Country Hills Bottle Depot?
Basically, if the container wasn’t sealed by a manufacturer, we can’t take it. We can’t take any containers that held concentrated juice (or anything to which you have to add water), pre-whipped whipping cream containers, infant formula cans, single-serve cream containers smaller than 30 ml, non-dairy flavored liquid coffee creamer containers or industrial milk bladders larger than 9 litres.
Fun Facts from ABDA
- Plastic takes 400 years, aluminum 500 years and glass 1 million years to break down in a landfill.
- Glass containers take 8-12 weeks to be recycled.
- 1 beer bottle is refilled an average of 15 times.
- Well-run recycling programs cost less than waste collection, landfilling and incineration.
- Recycled PET plastic bottles can make jackets, fleece jackets, T-shirts or carpet.
- 5 PET bottles can make fabric for one XL T-shirt or fill a ski jacket with insulation.
- Recycling 1 aluminum can saves enough energy to power a 100-watt bulb for 20 hours or a TV for 3 hours.
- Aluminum cans can be collected, melted down and made into new cans in as few as 60 days.
- Laid end to end, containers recycled in Alberta last year would circle the earth 8 times!
- Recycling 1 ton of plastic can save over 7 cubic yards of landfill space.
1 Litre & Less: 10 Cents
Over 1 Litre: 25 Cents
Visit us for a fully computerized, fast and friendly recycling experience.